Monday, December 3, 2012

Prescription Drugs and Dry Mouth


This blog is on a subject that has touched my family.  Both of my grandparents were dentists and I have never met anyone with better oral hygiene than my father.  So it was a shock for me to learn that my father has had 6 permanent teeth pulled in the last few years and now needs implants.  What is the sudden cause in the decline of his oral health?  It took changing dentists and meeting a knowledgeable hygienist who worked in a clinic with me to figure out that the root of the problem was dry mouth due to his prescription medications.


Saliva is essential for tasting and properly digesting food. It also helps prevent erosion of your teeth.  Several prescription drugs are known to cause dry mouth, such as anticholinergic, sympathomimetic, or diuretics.  Chemotherapy and radiation are also common causes.  Signs of dry mouth include difficulty swallowing, speaking, or with controlling dentures.  If left untreated, complications can include increased incidence of dental caries, halitosis (bad breath), candidosis, or ascending sialadentitis (pain and swelling of salivary glands).

If a patient is suffering from dry mouth there are a few recommendations you can make.  As a physician, you could try to alter the medications being prescribed.  Additionally, recommend the patient drinks lots of water and tries to keep their mouth as hydrated as possible.  Artificial saliva products are currently available. Tell them to AVOID alcohol-containing mouthwashes. (This was the major mistake my father was making.)  Of course, patients should also continue to improve upon their normal oral hygiene- brush and floss regularly, avoid sugary foods, use fluoride toothpaste, don’t wear dentures at night, etc.

Losing one’s teeth is a terrible thing, especially for patients who have taken excellent care of them their whole lives.  Dentures are no picnic and dental implants are extremely expensive (the cost of replacing a single tooth ranges from $1000-$5000).  As future physicians, PA’s and dentists, it is important that we all understand this connection and learn to recognize the signs and treatments.

For further reading check out this paper: http://www.nature.com/bdj/journal/v199/n7/full/4812740a.html

3 comments:

  1. what do you think about retainers at night? My siblings and I all had braces and we still have to wear plastic retainers at night! my brother has to wear the plastic ones, that cover all his teeth. Would those have the same affect as dentures? or not because they are just covering the teeth? Also, I don't think orthodontists are very concerned with changing or replacing them very frequently...I would not think that is very good for ones teeth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's no secret that I'm very interested in autoimmune diseases because of the effect they have had on my family. As I have said before, my mom has Sjögren's syndrome, which is an autoimmune disease that dries out the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and mouth. My mom hasn't had many issues with her dental health...yet. This throws a wrench in things though. So, I just looked up and found that many Sjögren's syndrome patients no longer produce sufficient quantities of protective saliva. And, like you said, this leads to tooth damage and more oral infections. The post states some preventative methods such as brushing and flossing regularly, chewing sugar-free gum or candy, and staying hydrated throughout the day. I'm happy that I read this post. This is incredibly interesting and very applicable to my families situation. Thanks Jess!

    References:
    http://www.sjogrens.org/home/about-sjogrens-syndrome/living-with-sjogrens/dry-mouth-tips

    ReplyDelete

  3. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease.Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete