Monday, December 3, 2012

It's all About the Extra O





Good news!  This weekend I found out that my parents no longer purchase 
and consume food-grade hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)!  However, based on some research I've done, there are still those who believe that ingesting hydrogen peroxide has many health benefits. Although it is easy to scoff at and immediately disregard the use of hydrogen peroxide as a dietary supplement, I think that the fact that there are people doing this is reason enough to learn more about why they believe it is a good idea to consume a product that is also commonly used as a sterilizing cleaning product or bleach.  We all plan on future professions dedicated to helping people maintain their heath and, therefore, should be open to new and alternative treatments.  So here's what I learned:



Background:    Hydrogen peroxide is a ubiquitous molecule found throughout the human body and in the environment including exhaled air, human urine, as well as a number of food products such as green and black tea, and especially instant coffee.  It is considered a highly reactive oxidative species (ROS) due to its tremendous oxidative capacity.  H2O2 is a natural by-product of aerobic metabolism and, as such, mitochondria are responsible for a substantial portion of H2O2 production.  To prevent the accumulation of H2O2, organisms have enzymes such as superoxide dismutatse (SOD), catalase and  peroxidase which collaboratively catalyze the degradation of H2O2 → 2 H2O + O2.  Concentrations of H2O2 are physiologically regulated and maintained through excretion and catabolic processes.  Interestingly, I also found information on WebMD about getting shots of SOD for pain relief, to increase tolerance for radiation therapy, to decrease damage to cardiac tissues following heart attacks, and for decreasing wrinkles.    

Danger of H2O2:  Exposure to UV-radiation or interaction with metals such as iron (commonly found in molecular components of red blood cells such as hemoglobin) can cause H2O2 to be easily converted to a hydroxy-free-radical (OHradical dot-).  Free-radicals are highly unstable molecules that can disrupt the chemical composition of other cellular components, thus compromising the cell's molecular integrity and potentially leading to cell death.

Why Believers Want to Drink H2O2:
  • H2O2  is produced naturally in the body.
  • H2O2  is "safe" (has been in use since 1920), readily available, and inexpensive ("dirt-cheap" in fact)
  • "Good" bacteria use aerobic metabolism and greatly benefit from the increased oxygen environment created from H2O2  consumption.
  • "Harmful" bacteria and cancer cells use anaerobic metabolism and cannot survive in the increased oxygen environment created from H2O2  consumption.

Potential Benefits:  Although, the mechanisms are not entirely understood, there is some evidence that beverages containing hydrogen peroxide can contribute to producing salivary secretions that contain molecules that are toxic to certain bacterial strains of the mouth and upper G.I. tract.  The hydrogen peroxide is able to diffuse directly into cells lining the oral cavity.  Metabolic hydrogen peroxide production in the urinary bladder is also believed to have beneficial antimicrobial qualities.  Hydrogen peroxide is also known to be involved in important physiological second messenger pathways.  

Conclusion:  From what I've read, it seems that the belief that consuming hydrogen peroxide could be beneficial to your health isn't completely random.  It has some ideas based on actual physiological processes however, they are taken out of context.  I am surely not going to pick up the habit, but I think that reading about alternative medicines from both sides is an important habit to development as a future healthcare provider.    




References: 

Halliwell, B. 1991.  Reactive oxidative species in living systems: source, biochemistry and role in human diseasse. Am J of Med. 91(3): S14-S22. 

Halliwell B, Clement MA, Long LH. 2000.  Hydrogen peroxide in the human body. FEBS Letters. 486(1): 10-13.

Williams DG, 2003.  The many benefits of hydrogen peroxide. Retrieved from: http://educate-yourself.org/cancer/benefitsofhydrogenperozide17jul03.shtml

5 comments:

  1. This is a case in which I believe the risks greatly outweigh any sort of reward...the only exception being if the H2O2 is consumed in low concentrations from natural foods, like you mentioned; tea and so on. But to drink it as in the picture...it must be more concentrated and that would increase the likelyhood of H2O2 being converted into the OH*- hydroxy free radical?!
    I can't wrap my head around why? it seems too risky to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I can't paste the picture, but it was a picture of a typical label for hydrogen peroxide. I have always been under the impression that hydrogen peroxide was for external use only. This is probably because every bottle of hydrogen peroxide I have seen has been labeled FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY. I'm not ruling out the possibility that hydrogen peroxide can have health benefits, but is this a new discovery? Why would manufacturers label it for external use only if it has the potential to be beneficial if ingested? Does it come down to the concentration of hydrogen peroxide you are drinking?

    Here's the label, if you are interested:
    http://images.ddccdn.com/otc/100349/label.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people also swear that washing their face or dunking their heads in hydrogen peroxide solution daily helps them stay young and healthy. Here's an article about using H2O2 to cure age spots
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/224087-hydrogen-peroxide-for-age-spots/.
    (Maybe age spot reduction is a legitimate use for H2O2?)
    Anyways, Katie, I appreciate the spirit of respect for different strategies and views you wrote the article with. We at least need to be able to have respectful understanding and dialogue with people to be able to influence them in a healthy direction.

    ReplyDelete

  5. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease.Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete