Sunday, October 14, 2012

Our memory is like a game of telephone?

“Your memory is like a game of telephone.”

I ran across an article on CNN Health with the above title (http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/20/your-memory-is-like-a-game-of-telephone/?hpt=he_bn2) and it grabbed my attention.  The article is citing a study recently published about a month ago in the Journal of Neuroscience (http://www.jneurosci.org/content/32/35/12144.abstract?sid=5bd35574-8dd1-418f-b411-6f7680f46b2d).  The results of the study seem to suggest that that each time we recall an event or specific information, we inadvertently either forget or add small parts to our memory.  In addition, this new recall event becomes more ingrained in our minds and more easily recalled in the future than the original event.  Therefore, the more we try to remember an event or information, the quicker we are able to recall the memory, but the more distorted our memory of the event becomes.  This seems counter-intuitive to me:  isn’t recall and “practice” of material/events supposed to strengthen neural connections and increase accuracy?  According to this study, the opposite may indeed be the case.

The authors of the study suggest in their conclusions that unique neurocognitive processes many be at play that result in memories being updated with new information during a recall event.  It is well-known that memory recall involves the reactivation of neural networks that were initially stimulated by the original event or learning process (http://www.human-memory.net/processes_recall.html).  The authors suggest that, when an individual “forgets” a small part of the original event, some parts (maybe specific neurons?) of the network are not activated in subsequent recalls and become more and more difficult to activate in the future.  On the other hand, when an individual “adds to” the memory during recall, previously unassociated neurons become activated and are more easily activated in subsequent recall events.

2 comments:

  1. This seems very doomsdayish, especially for us trying to remember everything we learn on our path to becoming health care professionals. I understand that memory is not perfect and what you think you remember from childhood is often riddled with inaccuracies. But I agree that their conclusions seem counter-intuitive. And I will give an example: In college, I had a word doc that I would sometimes write in so I wouldn't forget unique or funny situations that I was in. Some of the stories in that journal doc I have recalled to others since then multiple times. However, others I haven't thought about since I added them.
    This past year I visited a college friend who reminded me of one of the situations I had been in. Apparently, my friend liked to tell people about his friend (me) who was berated outside of the grocery store by an old man during our senior year for not getting my Mrs. degree in college and, thus, having to wait for a friend to help me when my car wouldn't start.
    I had completely forgotten about the story and had to go back to my original journal doc to remember the specifics. However, upon looking at other "entries" I can see that the stories I have continued to tell are more accurate and complete in my mind than those I have not recalled ever or as often.

    I think that case studies (such as what I have provided) are not as reliable as experiments following the scientific method, but it makes me question their results. I think that the mechanisms they offer seem to make sense, but the overall conclusion might be overstepping. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting for the same reason Kailey mentioned. We all want to enter the health care world. I had a professor who tole me that taking anatomy as an undergraduate was useless, since we were going to see it again in graduate school (either Medical school, or PA school). I was left wondering if by the seventh time of taking anatomy I would finally recall where the tibial tuberosity was on the Tibia. Alas, I have not taken Anatomy seven times, but I do know that practice makes the master.

    I would agree with Kailey and say that case studies are not as reliable as experiments, however they provide with basic information about the subject of study, and a different perspective that may allow for structuring the methodology in the study. S

    ReplyDelete